Welcome to the Lewisham Children and Family Centre Website



Benefits for parents of SEND children

Caring for a child with a disability can be expensive, especially if you’ve had to give up work or cut your working hours. Here are a few benefits that you may be entitled to.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

To claim DLA for a child you need to be their parent or look after them as if you’re their parent. This includes step-parents, guardians, grandparents, foster-parents or older brothers or sisters. It is NOT means tested. This means that it doesn’t matter how much you earn.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children is a tax-free benefit made up of 2 components (parts). The child might qualify for one or both components.

Care component

Care component Weekly rate
Lowest £26.90
Middle £68.10
Highest £101.75

Mobility component

Mobility component Weekly rate
Lower £26.90
Higher £71


If your child currently lives in England or Wales you can apply by either:

  • printing off and filling in the DLA claim form
  • phoning the Disability Living Allowance helpline and asking for a printed form

Disability Living Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0800 121 4600
Textphone: 0800 121 4523
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4600
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer – find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

More information about claiming DLA from Citizens Advice


Carers Allowance

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for your child for  at least 35 hours a week and they get

  • Child Disability Payment – the middle or highest care rate
  • Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate

You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. It IS means tested. This means that it does matter how much you earn.

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Find out if you’re eligible for Carers Allowance here

Make a claim for Carers Allowance  here


Help with the cost of getting your disabled child to school

Not all children and young people with special educational needs are entitled to help with home-to-school travel.

To be eligible, a child or young person must:

  • be aged 5–16 or have an EHC Plan and attend an educational placement named within that plan

  • go to their nearest suitable educational placement (as determined by us)

  • live further than the statutory walking distance from their school.

The statutory walking distance is:

  • up to two miles for a child aged 7 or under

  • up to three miles for a child aged 8–16.

However, in some cases walking distance is not relevant, and the needs of each individual child or young person will be considered. In these cases, Lewisham may need to complete an observational assessment to judge a child or young person’s ability to travel.


Translate with Google Translate
Skip to content