Do you know a child who has experienced domestic abuse?
The Children Overcoming Domestic Abuse Programme works with children and mothers who have experienced domestic abuse.
This 12 week programme runs termly and works with 4 to 11 year olds in age appropriate groups with each session lasting 2 hours.
Running simultaneously for mother and child, the groups aim to:
- Help to begin the healing process
- Allow children to share their experiences
- Explore ways of expressing their feelings safely
- Look at coping strategies for the future
- Reduce self-blame
- Produce an age appropriate safety plan for the child
- Help to strengthen the mother and child bond
- Increase understanding of how to help their child recover
- Provide an opportunity to meet other women with similar experiences and share their feelings
- Explore the impact their experiences may have had on their children
- Find ways to heal the past and look to the future
- Help to strengthen the mother/child bond