There are lots of FREE events across the week before and during the Bank Holiday weekend between Saturday 6 and Monday 8 May, find out how you can be involved in this historic occasion.
Council Coronation events
The Council will be holding a host of commemorative events and activities. We will be adding to this list so please be sure to check back regularly.
Saturday 6th May 2023
Enjoy the bank holiday weekend with live music at one of our parks. Bring friends, family and a picnic. Try your best to travel by walking, cycling or use public transport. Please make sure all rubbish is taken with you after you leave. Free to attend, no tickets required.
- 2-3pm, Lewisham Concert Band at Mountsfield Park Bandstand, Stainton Rd, London SE6 1AN
- 2-3pm, South London Samba and Big Lunch at Beckenham Place Park Mansion, Capital Ring, Beckenham BR3 1SY
Coronation live screenings
Join us to watch the Coronation procession live. All events are free to attend.
- From 11am at The Fellowship Inn, Randlesdown Road, Bellingham SE6 3BT. Free to attend, book a ticket to secure your place, walk-ins will also be available.
- From 11am, Coronation live screening at St Mary’s Church, Lewisham High Street.
- From 11am, Coronation live screening at St Mark’s Chruch, Baudwin Road
Sunday 7th May 2023
The Big Lunch
Bring your neighbours together for a Big Lunch celebration on Sunday 7 May. Applications to host street parties are now closed. Find a street party local to you.
Monday 8th May 2023
The Big Help Out
Library Coronation events
Catford Centre, 23-24 Winslade Way, London SE6 4JU
- Wednesday 3 May 10.30-11.30am – Under 5’s Kings, Queens, Dragons & Jesters Special
- Sunday 7 May 2-3pm – Sunday Royal Craft Club: All welcome
Corbett Community Library
103 Torridon Rd, London SE6 1RQ
- Tuesday 2 May 9.30-10.30am – Coronation Craft
- Thursday 4 May 9.30-10am – Royal Storytime & Songs
Crofton Park Community Library
375 Brockley Rd, London SE4 2AG
- Thursday 4 May 3.45-4.45pm – Story Time: for little lords and ladies, crowns optional
- Friday 5 May 10.30-11.30am – Baby Bounce & Story (booking essential for all our local royalty) crowns optional
The Library, Deptford Lounge
9 Giffin St, London SE8 4RH
- Wednesday 3 May 2.15-2.45pm – Grand Baby Bounce Special
- Saturday 6 May 10.30-11.30am – Royal Rhymes & Stories
7-9 Moorside Rd, Bromley BR1 5EP
- Tuesday 2 May 10.30-11am – Under 5’s Royalty Special
- Tuesday 2 May 4-5pm – Chess Club: Full of Kings & Queens
- Thursday 4 May 10.30-11pm – Under 5’s Royalty Special
- Thursday 4 May 4-5pm – Chess Club: Full of Kings & Queens
Forest Hill Library – Part of V22 Communities
Dartmouth Rd, London SE23 3HZ
- Tuesday 2 May 10.30-11am – Royal Rhyme Time
- Thursday 4 May 2-2.30pm – Grand Baby Bounce Special
- Friday 5 May 12-1pm – Poetry Shared Reading for adults: Celebration Theme
199-201 Lewisham High St, London SE13 6LG
- Saturday 6 May 2-3pm – Craft Club: Coronation Celebration
Manor House Library – Part of V22 Communities
34 Old Rd, London SE13 5SY
- Wednesday 3 May 11-12pm – Royal Rhyme Time
New Cross Learning
283 – 285 New Cross Rd, London SE14 6AS
- Tuesday 2 May 11am-12pm – Grand Baby Bounce Special
- Tuesday 2, Wednesday 3, Thursday 4 and Saturday 6 10am-5pm – Warm Bank: Coronation Special
- Saturday 6 May 1-4pm – Knitting Club: Coronation Special (crowns optional)
Sydenham Library – Part of V22 Communities
210 Sydenham Rd, London SE26 5SE
- Tuesday 2 May 10.15-10.45am – Royal Rhyme Time Special
Over the weekend, the expansive riverside grounds will come alive with music, face painting, lawn games for the family, a Street Food market serving delicious dishes from around the world, and bars serving a tempting selection of drinks including Pimms and Prosecco.
4-8 May, 10am-5pm,FREE
Visit a world-class radio station, established especially at the Old Royal Naval College to broadcast celebratory Coronation messages to thousands of fellow amateur radio enthusiasts across the world. The messages set by shortwave radio, will be made possible by two impressive radio masts of 80’ (24.4m) and 40’ (12.2m) erected on Monument Gardens. Be part of this attempt to be make 14,000 contacts over the five days of operation – sit at the radio, take the microphone, and speak with people across the globe.
Comedy Royal Guards
6 May, 12-3pm
The Royal Guards have hotfooted it over from Westminster Abbey and are on parade in the grounds. Look out for their lavish red coats and iconic bearskin-style hats and watch-out for their cheeky banter and razor-sharp wit.
Choral Eucharist for Coronation Sunday
Sunday 7 May, 11am
Join us in the Chapel of St Peter and St Paul as we celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen Consort with a service featuring music by Purcell, Mozart, and Handel. (No need to book).
Sea Cadets Coronation Parade
Monday 8 May, Lower Grand Square, 1pm, free
450 Sea Cadets from across the UK, including their marching band, will parade in Lower Grand Square as a tribute to His Majesty The King. This rare spectacle will see 450 Sea Cadets joined by 100 colleagues the Army Cadet Force, the RAF Air Cadets, the Volunteer Police Cadets, St John Ambulance, the Fire Cadets, and Scouts; all from the London region.
The Big Help Out
Monday 8 May, 11am-3pm | King William Lawn
Highlighting the impact volunteering has on bringing together communities across the nation, and in tribute to His Majesty The King’s public service, we’ll be celebrating our own team of volunteers. There’s an opportunity to meet and chat to them and find out how you can get involved. Our staff and volunteer choir will perform a short set at 11.30-45am on King William Lawn.