Welcome to the Lewisham Children and Family Centre Website



A person who is subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition, or who does not have any current immigration permission, will not be eligible for homelessness assistance or a housing allocation.

On this page you will find links to Citizens Advice, the No Recourse to Public Finds Network and information for social workers and professions on Lewisham Council’s website.

If the council says you’re not ‘eligible’ for social housing because of your immigration status you might not be able to apply.  

This includes if: 

  • you’re seeking asylum or you’ve been told you can’t stay in the UK 
  • you have ‘no recourse to public funds’ 
  • you’re a British citizen but you’re not ‘habitually resident’ in the UK – read more about habitual residence 

If your immigration status has changed since your application and you think you should be added to the waiting list, it’s usually best to start a new housing application 

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you need help with your immigration status – they could refer you to an immigration specialist to get more help. 

The No Recourse to Public Funds Network has more information about Housing and Benefits on their website 

Shelter has information on claiming benefits 

Information for social workers and professionals about no recourse to public funds, and Lewisham Council’s procedures, duties and responsibilities. 

Translate with Google Translate
Skip to content